現在線上人數 85人
2024.12.10 19:32
第十二部 第三課: whatever floats your boat , up a creek
- Larry 和李華正在討論星期六要幹什麼.李華呢要去逛街,但是 Larry 想去打籃球.今天李華會學到兩個常用語: whatever floats your boat 和 up a creek。
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- Larry,我真的很想去逛街嘛!這個週末在購物中心有大特賣哎!
- I don't understand why you like shopping so much, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
- Boat?你在說什麼啊?我是想去逛街買衣服,不是要去乘船玩啦!
- No, "whatever floats your boat" is an expression. Whatever floats your boat means that you should do whatever you like doing. It also implies that everyone likes to do different things.
- 哦~, whatever floats your boat 就是說你愛幹什麼就幹什兒,而且啊,還有每個人愛好不同的意思.好,那我星期六要去逛街!
- Fine then. You should do whatever floats your boat. However, I think I'll go play basketball instead.
- 行,你想去打籃球,那就去吧! Whatever floats your boat!
- I guess we won't be spending Saturday together. We could still meet for dinner, though.
- 沒問題,晚上一起吃晚飯,那~,你想去哪兒吃飯呢?
- I don't have any preferences. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me.
- 真的嗎?由我來決定去哪兒吃飯啊?
- Yep, the decision is yours.
- 嗯 ...,這樣啊,哎!我們能不能去學校附近那家新開的泰國餐廳?我朋友告訴我,他們的菜很好吃喔!
- If that's what floats your boat, then it's fine with me.
- 好,沒問題.那我們星期六晚上 6 點半在餐廳見囉!
- Okay, I'll see you then.
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- 怎麼啦?Larry,出了什麼事兒啊?
- I lost my keys when I went to play basketball today. Now, I'm really up a creek.
- 你把鑰匙弄丟了?哎呀,那可真是麻煩了.不過,這跟 a creek 有什麼關係啊? Creek 那不就是小溪嗎?
- If someone is "up a creek" it means that he or she is stuck in a bad situation without an obvious solution.
- 哦~,我懂了, up a creek 就是說一個人碰上難題,而且還沒有辦法來解決.也就是我們中文裡說的「陷入困境」.唉,你啊現在真的是碰上大難題了.那你打算怎麼辦呢?
- I don't know. I can't get into my apartment or my car without my keys.
- 對喔,你沒有鑰匙就進不了家,也進不了你的車,那你能不能打電話問你房東,或許他有多一把鑰匙啊。
- My landlord is out of town for the weekend, so I'm up a creek until he gets back on Monday.
- 什麼?你的房東出遠門,要到星期一才會回來?那可麻煩了.也許你可以找個鎖匠來開鎖啊?
- I think that might be my only solution, but it's going to be expensive.
- 我知道,請鎖匠來開鎖啊,可能要花一點錢,可是那總比你一個週末被關在家門外,不得其門而入要好吧?
- Yeah, you're right. I have no idea what to do about my car keys, though. They're a little bit more difficult to replace.
- 不好意思哦,我不開車,所以不知道上哪兒能找到新的車鑰匙.看來啊你真是 up a creek,陷入困境了。
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- 今天李華學到了兩個常用語.第一個是: whatever floats your boat,意思就是「你愛幹什麼就幹什麼」.另一個常用語是: up a creek,這是「形容一個人陷入困境」。