現在線上人數 107人
2024.12.08 23:32
第二部 第十課: cop , to freak out
- 今天 Michael 在陪李華練習開車,準備去考駕照。他們在路上幾次遇到驚險的情況,你聽了他們的對話就知道是怎麼回事了,儘管如此,李華還是學到了兩個常用語,一個是:cop; 另一個是:to freak out.
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- Your driving is getting better, Li Hua. Hey, you'd better slow down. This is a 35 mile per hour zone.
- 啊?這地區每小時只能開 35 英哩呀?我是不是開太快啦?哎喲,我的天吶,警車跟在我後面呢,那該怎麼辦吶?
- Calm down, Li Hua. Just find a parking lot and stop the car. The cop will follow us, and come over to your window to talk to you.
- 這哪兒有停車的地方呀!哎哦!行,我就停這兒吧!哎,你剛才說誰會過來跟我說話?是警察嗎?
- That's right. Cop, c-o-p, means police officer.
- 啊?警察要來跟我說話!我會不會倒霉呀?我該怎麼辦呢?
- Calm down! Sometimes the cops stop people just to warn them, not to give them a ticket. You weren't going very fast anyway.
- 哦!你是說警察可能只過來警告我一下,不一定會給我罰票呀?哎喲,但願如此,我好像是沒有開很快。哎,Michael, 你剛才說 cops,那警車裡到底有幾個警察呀?
- When I say "the cops", I mean the police in general. I'm not talking about any cop in particular.
- 哦~,cop 這個名詞用多數的時候,cops, 可以總的來指警察,而不是指某個警察。哎,Michael 啊,我能不能稱呼警察 cop 呢?
- No! The word "cop" is too informal. You should show respect when talking to the cops. Call him "officer", don't call him "cop"!
- 我的天哪!原來 cop 是很隨便的稱呼啊,哎哦,你幹嘛不早告訴我呀!我可不想惹警察生氣呢!
- Li Hua, don't worry. I'm sure this isn't very serious.
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- See, Li Hua, I was right. The cop didn't give you a ticket.
- 哎喲,謝天謝地,他沒有給我罰票,他要罰我好多錢的話,那我就糟糕了。
- I told you not to freak out. If a cop sees that you are nervous, he will be even more suspicious of you.
- 啊?你告訴我要什麼?叫我別下車呀?
- No, I told you not to freak out. Freak, f-r-e-a-k, Out, o-u-t. Freak out means to panic or to act crazy and excited.
- 是啊,我經常聽到很多人說 freak out,原來就是指過於激動、顯得很緊張,是不是呢?
- That's right. Actually, I was the one who should have been freaking out!
- 你才該感到緊張?為什麼?
- Because this is my car, and you only have a learner's permit. I'd be responsible if you got in trouble.
- 這我就不懂了。是啊,這是你的車,我只有一張學開車的許可證。可是,是我開車開出了問題,為什麼警察要怪你呢?你為什麼要 freak out 呢?
- Hey! Li Hua, look out for that car!
- Don't freak out, Michael. 我看見那輛車了。哎,不過啊,那車差一點就撞到我們呢!
- Oh, man! that was close! That guy is crazy! I wish the cops were here to see that!
- 對,剛才啊是夠險的,警察要看到他那麼開車,準要給他罰票。不過啊,我今天已經跟警察打過交道了,夠了。再要我跟警察打交道,那我可真是要 freak out了。
- Me too. Now, drive carefully!
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- 今天這兩個年輕人真是夠驚險的.不過,李華學到了兩個非常有用的詞彙: cop,「警察」; to freak out,「非常緊張和激動」。